One of my favorite scenes in the Bible is what happened before and after Elijah prayed at Mount Carmel for rain. (1 Kings 18:41-46)
It’s among my favorites because there are some lessons we can learn for our Christian Journey.
- Mighty rainstorm and Little Cloud:
Elijah had told Ahab to get something to eat and drink for a mighty rainstorm was coming. This was before he climbed to the mountain top to pray. He prayed for seven (7) times before a little cloud about a size of a man’s hand rose from the sea. This draws immediate attention because of the description of the rain (mighty rainstorm) and cloud (little cloud).
When Elijah heard about the little cloud, he sounded the alarm that “If you don’t hurry, the rain will stop you!” Soon clouds formed and a heavy wind brought a terrific rainstorm.
- The Contest:
Ahab jumped on his chariot and headed to Jezreel while Elijah ran. In the physical, Ahab had the advantage because he had carrier. However, Elijah had unique advantage in the spiritual because God gave him special strength which enabled him to outran Ahab for the 17 miles journey.
The story highlights the core principles for the christian journey:
- Faith: Elijah declared there was going to be mighty rainstorm before climbing up to pray. There was no sign of rain yet he told Ahab to prepare for a journey. Can your faith be seen? Are you waiting for God to show you signs before you make a move? Maybe it’s time you act like Elijah and start prophesying into your future.
- Trust: Elijah climbed up to pray because he trusted that the same God who heard his prayer and sent down fire was also able to send rain. He prayed believing that God would supply. Proverbs 3 says Trust in the Lord with all your heart. Do not depend on your own understanding. Trust is fundamental to every great relationship and it’s a must in your walk with God.
- Persistence: Elijah persisted in his request. He never gave up till there was a little cloud. For 7 times he prayed and never got tired. In Luke 11:8-9 (NLT), Jesus said “if you keep knocking enough, he will get up and give you whatever you need because of your shameless persistence. And so I tell you, keep on asking and you will receive what you ask for. Keep on seeking, and you will find. Keep on knocking, and the door will be opened to you.” Don’t give up on your request because your answer could just be a prayer away.
- Don’t ignore small beginning: After his shameless persistence, a little cloud popped up. He took it as the sign and prepared for journey. Could it be that your request is bigger than the signs you are seeing? Maybe you want to big break before you move but God doesn’t always work that way. Gird up your loins and begin to run because a mighty rainstorm is coming!
- Divine Helper: Elijah was never at a disadvantage because God knew he needed push and He did just that by equipping him with special strength. The scripture says that “God is our refuge and strength, always ready to help in times of trouble” (Psalm 46:1, NLT). Be assured that God is ready to HELP in whichever way POSSIBLE to provide the necessary resource(s) (physical or spiritual) you need for your journey.
God has destined you for greatness and nothing can undo His plans for your life. He has equipped you with all you need for a successful journey so stick to Him and don’t go anywhere.